Share this job:
Milliman is hiring an
Milliman’s Tampa Health Practice is seeking an Actuarial Analyst that is excited to join their vibrant, dynamic and growing practice. This position will have the opportunity to work in a wide variety of areas within the healthcare industry while working alongside some of the leading experts in the field.
Actuarial Analysts perform data analysis using Excel, SAS, R, Python while working with proprietary Milliman programs to assist with consulting for various health insurance work areas, such as Medicare, Commercial / ACA, Medicaid, Pharmacy, Provider, and more. Analysts also assist with consulting for other types of companies including pharmaceutical manufacturers, pharmacy benefit managers, and others. Such consulting activities include pricing, reserving, financial projections, and detailed claims cost analytics. Actuarial Analysts are also responsible for reviewing the work of peers, assisting with research and product development. The actuarial analyst is expected to make strong progress through the actuarial exams.
Within a project team, Consultants, Managers, and Professional Staff coordinate their efforts to deliver client reports and deliverables. Consultants are responsible for building relationships with clients, directing projects, and presenting results. Managers work directly with Professional Staff by reviewing work, answering questions, and developing client correspondence. Professional Staff is responsible for the majority of the technical work, which may include analyzing data, completing actuarial calculations, developing and utilizing actuarial models, and implementing software solutions.
Independent for over 70 years, Milliman delivers market-leading services and solutions to clients worldwide. Today, we are helping companies take on some of the world’s most critical and complex issues, including retirement funding and healthcare financing, risk management and regulatory compliance, data analytics, and business transformation.
Through a team of professionals ranging from actuaries to clinicians, technology specialists to plan administrators, we offer unparalleled expertise in employee benefits, investment consulting, healthcare, life insurance, financial services, and property and casualty insurance.
Milliman is one of the leading experts in healthcare financing and delivery. We advise clients on a wide range of issues—from assessing the impact of healthcare reform on organizations or populations to streamlining operations while advancing the quality of patient care. Our consulting work is supported by a powerful toolkit of data analytics solutions and informed by the most trusted, comprehensive set of cost guidelines in the industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field
- At least two actuarial exams passed
- Experience working with SAS, VBA, R, Python, or other coding languages is advantageous
- Experience with Medicare Advantage programs, Medicaid programs, commercial individual/group insurance, pharmacy, or provider risk-taking programs strongly preferred
Competencies and behaviors that support success in this role:
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Analytical thinking skills to evaluate analyses for downstream impact
- Can complete project deliverables, meet deadlines, and ensure compliance with quality procedures
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Client focused and results oriented
- Ambition and excitement for professional development within the actuarial field
- High integrity in all professional work
At Milliman, we focus on creating an environment that recognizes – and meets – the personal and professional needs of the individual and their family. We offer competitive benefits which include the following based on plan eligibility:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents, including domestic partners
- A 401(k) plan with matching program, and profit sharing contribution
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- A discretionary bonus program
- Paid Time Off (PTO) starts accruing on the first day of work and can be used for any reason; full-time employees will accrue 15 days of PTO per year, and employees working less than a full-time schedule will accrue PTO at a prorated amount based on hours worked
- Family building benefits, including adoption and fertility assistance and paid parental leave up to 12 weeks for employees who have worked for Milliman for at least 12 months and have worked at least 1,250 hours in the preceding 12-month period
- A minimum of 8 paid holidays
- Milliman covers 100% of the premiums for life insurance, AD&D, and both short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts allow employees to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for dependent care, transportation, and applicable medical needs
The opportunity is onsite in the Milliman Tampa office.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
You've aced the actuarial job interview and an offer is on the table – congratulations! But now, the real challenge begins: negotiation.
Actuaries never stop learning. There are loads of industry webinars and conferences out there, but I prefer reading blogs and listening to podcasts.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.