Share this job:
KPMG is hiring a
Director/Actuary (DB Pensions)
KPMG's Pensions is an exciting initiative to re-establish the pensions team. We are looking for a talented and experienced Director to join our team and lead the DB corporate advisory area. You will be responsible for growing revenue, building and leading this service line, delivering:
- Strategic journey planning, risk management aiming for self-sufficiency or buy out and endgame options including use of surplus
- Strategic funding advice to sponsors and advice on compliance with DB funding code
- Advice on contingent funding options and work on special purpose vehicles
- Pension due diligence on mergers and acquisitions
- Provision of member education and communication
- Advice on benefit change, benefit design and implementation
- Advice on good governance and compliance
You will lead the client team, with responsibility for managing the day-to-day relationships. You will work closely with our tax and legal specialists across all of KPMG's UK offices to consider areas of adjacencies and growth. As a Director, you will be responsible for setting and meeting revenue targets, managing teams, providing coaching and also having performance management responsibilities for a small number of employees.
- Market facing with a strong external profile
- Track record of driving sales and converting new opportunities
- Hold and control high level conversations with senior stakeholders and be capable of introducing relevant specialists from across the firm
- Lead on innovation and spotting market opportunities, build propositions, develop collateral and take propositions out to market
- Lead by example with client relationships, technical quality, service delivery and commercially
- Actively promote team and personal profile to internal networks in order to promote collaboration and increase internal leads
- Strong financial management, setting and agreeing budgets for work delivering to budgets and timely billing and debt collection
- Ability to identify out of scope work and bill, accordingly
- Signing off technical actuarial work in line with the actuarial standards and, in line with KPMG quality procedures.
- Directing and overseeing the work of engagement teams and team members, including reviewing their actuarial work (e.g., checking calculations and reviewing conclusions), and providing coaching and mentoring support.
- Performance managing team members, ensuring that you are having rich development conversations that supports their growth and career progression.
Experience and Knowledge Requirements
- Successful track record of new business origination and sustained revenue growth in DB corporate pensions advisory at Senior Manager/Director level, at either an employee benefit consultancy or other Big 4 firm. (E)
- Proven track record of innovation and thought leadership (E)
- Deep technical knowledge of defined benefit pension scheme valuations, roll forward methodologies and actuarial techniques and understanding of the wider UK pensions landscape, and the issues facing our stakeholders. (E)
- Knowledge of pensions funding and accounting regime (E)
- Experience of leading and performance managing teams, coaching and mentoring junior staff. (E)
- Proven track record of managing and delivering high quality, complex projects, including team oversight and stakeholder management. (E)
- Proven track record of managing and delivering benefit change, member options and end game journey planning. (E)
- Proven track record of advising Trustees/corporates on scheme funding and knowledge of the regime governed by the Pensions Regulator, including the DB scheme funding code and Single code of Practice. (E)
- IT literate with sound knowledge and experience of MS Office tools (Excel, PowerPoint and Word). (E)
Behavioural Attributes and Skills
- Sustains a high level of drive, shows enthusiasm and a positive attitude that translates across the team
- Inspirational leader and clear role model
- Displays an inclusive, collaborative approach and operates in an inspirational & respectful manner with colleagues, clients and the wider community
- Brings insight and effectively applies knowledge to business and client problems
- Communicates with impact, in a way that is open, honest, consistent and clear
- Builds the reputation of KMPG through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- Strong interpersonal skills in addition to strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to communicate complex matters in a clear and compelling manner.
- Highly effective stakeholder management and relationship building skills; credible and confident with stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong organisational and time management skills; able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Self-driven and resilient; able to thrive in a high-pressure environment.
- Effective problem solver; makes pragmatic and logical decisions, drawing on own and others' technical expertise to provide high quality solutions.
- Strong analytical and numerical skills; able to analyse and interpret complex technical statistical information, with a focus on quality, attention to details and accuracy in calculations.
- Effective team working skills; works collaboratively with others towards shared goals.
A qualified senior actuary, FIA or equivalent. (E) E - Essential, D - Desirable
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
You've aced the actuarial job interview and an offer is on the table – congratulations! But now, the real challenge begins: negotiation.
Actuaries never stop learning. There are loads of industry webinars and conferences out there, but I prefer reading blogs and listening to podcasts.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.