Legal & General
Share this job:
Legal & General is hiring a
Group Capital Actuary
Your role at a glance:
We have a fantastic opportunity within our Group Actuarial function here at L&G for a Qualified Actuary to work on Capital Aggregation.
Within this role you will manage the production of the Weekly Solvency Estimate, including managing the workload of a supporting resource. As well as supporting the quarterly production and analysis of Solvency II Profit & Loss Attribution results.
You will also support the Group Capital Aggregation (GCA) team with the annual Internal Model calibration and validation cycle. And manage L&G’s responses to external Solvency II calibration benchmarking surveys, including managing relationships with internal stakeholders and external consultancies.
As well as the above you will also compare “Actual versus Forecast Solvency II surplus results” and supply any supporting analysis and commentary pertaining to material variances. As well as supporting the wider Group Actuarial team with developing improvements and streamlining processes, making use of technology where appropriate, such as Power Query for automation and Power BI for visualization.
This role is a hybrid working opportunity, which means you can split your working week flexibly between your home and our London offices to help achieve a work-life balance which suits you.
Do you feel like you meet the requirements but require greater flexibility? We’d love to hear from you regardless; we’re open to flexible working arrangements and support hybrid working, so please get in touch!
What you'll be doing:
- Delivering timely and accurate results, that meet the required internal and external deadlines.
- Building and maintaining strong, proactive working relationships with key stakeholders including other L&G Business Units, Group Capital Aggregation, Group Performance, and External Consultancies.
- Identifying potential improvements to current processes and supporting with the implementation of process improvements through the use of tools and technology (e.g. Power BI and Power Query).
- Complying with the relevant Group and Professional Standards – for example L&G Spreadsheet Standards, L&G Group Policies & Procedures, Group internal model governance standards and Technical Actuarial Standards.
- Designing and implementing appropriate training regimes that give sufficient emphasis to the need for customers to understand that fair treatment is central to the corporate culture of L&G.
What we're looking for:
- A Qualified Actuary (FIA or equivalent).
- A detailed understanding of SII Principles and how they apply in practice.
- Knowledge of actuarial liability reporting and analysis across various metrics and the ability to identify likely relative movements across these metrics.
- A detailed understanding of financial and insurance risk management.
- Strong data analysis skills: with the ability to apply financial analysis techniques and draw conclusions from that analysis.
- Strong problem-solving skills: with the ability to apply fresh and creative thinking and to develop new strategies/solutions to problems.
- A pragmatic approach and the ability to make sound judgments and appropriate decisions with limited information.
- Strong stakeholder management and communication skills.
- Experience of modeling, and proficiency in the use of Excel and Word is essential, with experience in R, Power BI and Power Query being desirable.
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognize and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, 27 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You'll receive a car allowance of 12% of your annual salary, and you can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow. Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet.
We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area:
Humanity is facing fundamental challenges, with the future of our planet hanging in the balance. As the principal investment arm of the Legal & General Group, our aim at Legal & General Capital is to generate long-term shareholder value, while helping build a better society. We seek opportunities to invest in sectors most in need of investment and innovation, such as residential housing, large-scale urban regeneration and future cities.
We’re backing investment in infrastructure and clean energy, and in start-up businesses to drive innovation and growth across the UK. We’re building partnerships between the public sector and institutional investors to accelerate housing delivery, create jobs, support local businesses and transform communities. This helps to create new asset classes for Legal & General’s varied investment requirements, our partners and the wider marketplace.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities:
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation.
We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status. In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve.
We think it’s important to create an inclusive environment where we can all belong, contribute and drive progress, where you can develop and grow, and be empowered. We want you to use your voice to help us build a better tomorrow.
We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
You've aced the actuarial job interview and an offer is on the table – congratulations! But now, the real challenge begins: negotiation.
Actuaries never stop learning. There are loads of industry webinars and conferences out there, but I prefer reading blogs and listening to podcasts.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.