Share this job:
Hannover Re is hiring an
AVP Actuary (Corporate Actuarial)
We are currently seeking applicants for an AVP, Actuary (Corporate Actuarial) position who will be responsible for the annual experience review, assumption setting, and documentation required for valuation purposes across all valuation bases (IFRS, Solvency II, PBR, AG48, etc.). The scope includes all traditional mortality solutions business. Additionally, this individual owns the assumption database that feeds production valuation models, is the primary stakeholder for Seriatim Data Warehouse and stacked run results which feed the assumption setting process, actively supports external and internal audit requirements and effectively collaborates with other CSS Finance & Risk Management personnel and teams to ensure consistency, accuracy, and efficiency across portfolios. Management responsibility of 2-4 actuarial resources.
Oversees delivery of Experience Studies and Assumption Changes
- Plans, aligns and coordinates annual mortality and lapse reviews for all traditional mortality solutions blocks and associated assumption updates as needed for all blocks.
- Addresses these needs for multiple valuation basis including IFRS, AG48 and PBR. Coordinates with key stakeholders to ensure studies and proposed assumption adjustments meet with the needs of the stakeholders.
- Delivers proposed experience study results and recommended updates to Valuation Committee on timely basis for approval.
- Prepares documentation and supporting memorandums for internal stakeholder group and external auditors.
- Addresses questions and other needs of internal stakeholders and external auditors to ensure timely signoff and favorable audit outcomes.
- Directs team resources to achieve departmental objectives. Ensures that expectations are reasonable and can be met within confines of time and resource constraints.
Performs Experience Assumptions and Associated Validations
- Performs the technical analysis in support of the historical experience studies and associated model validation by writing and running R code utilizing internal R package.
- Implements new statistical methodologies to further analytic abilities and strengthen assumption review/adjustment process.
- Implement assumption updates to the SQL assumption database and perform impact analysis on the projected financial results.
- Review results for reasonableness to validate correct implementation.
- Abides by model governance guidelines when implementing approved assumptions updates into the production model.
- Identifies and recommends process improvements to ensure that most current and applicable technical and statistical tools are being used and process remains efficient.
SDW Key Stakeholder
- Serves as primary liaison with process owners responsible for maintaining and updating assumption related data and processes (i.e. SDW and stacked run process) to ensure delivery of quality results that meet the needs of the assumption setting team and meet the timelines that support the annual assumption review and update process.
- Defines data requirements and specifications, signs off on key implementation decisions with regards to this data.
Develop and Manage staff
- Help CA Staff achieve their personal professional goals
- Enhance technical skillset of CA team
Essential knowledge skills and abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Statistics, Mathematics or similar
- FSA credential from the Society of Actuaries
- 7-10+ years of experience in an actuarial role
- Computer software: Microsoft Excel, Database knowledge (high proficiency)
- Programming knowledge: C++, SQL, VBA
- Actuarial modelling experience: Risk Agility preferred
- Business knowledge: Reinsurance expert
- Business skills: Strong verbal communication, Excellent writing skills, Ability to communicate complex initiatives
Desired knowledge skills and abilities
- Cloud technologies (Azure)
- R experience, predictive analytics
- Valuation knowledge: Solvency II, IFRS17, Stat/GAAP, AG48 and PBR
- Experience with establishing controlled procedures
- Experience with project planning and management
- 10% - domestic travel, including overnight stays
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties or responsibilities to this job at any time.
Total Compensation Range: $151,600 - $205,000 (inclusive of Base and Bonus).
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Company provided life insurance and disability benefits
- 401(k) and profit sharing
- Additional ancillary benefits available
Hannover Life Reassurance Company of America (Hannover Re) seeks to attract the best-qualified candidates who support the mission, vision and values of the company and those who respect and promote excellence through diversity.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
You've aced the actuarial job interview and an offer is on the table – congratulations! But now, the real challenge begins: negotiation.
Actuaries never stop learning. There are loads of industry webinars and conferences out there, but I prefer reading blogs and listening to podcasts.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.