Share this job:
⛔️ Allstate are no longer taking applications for this job.
Actuary Director (Commercial)
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Actuary Director, Commercial role is a remote based leadership position responsible for providing expert actuarial guidance in support of pricing small commercial and middle market auto and BOP lines of business. This role leads a team of managers and analysts to execute highly complex and strategic projects, while leveraging broad functional expertise and knowledge of the business to serve as a subject matter expert across the organization. Responsible for engaging senior leadership to influence business decision related to line(s) and/or geographic areas.
- Uses best practices to develop and ensure appropriateness of highly complex actuarial/statistical analyses/methodologies used across the organization to influence business decisions while ensuring quality of data used to perform the analyses is appropriate and documentation standards are adhered to
- Collaborates and influences outside business units to drive innovation in products and achieve corporate priorities by providing actuarial thought leadership
- Manages oversight of all talent management for their expanded team including succession planning, compensation, development, bench strength, organizational structure changes, etc.
- Manages teams that plan, implement, and/or contributes on projects that are high complexity and are of large scale using accepted project management standards that cross multi-disciplinary areas
- Develops and executes effective communication strategies of highly complex actuarial and modeling techniques and results to Influence complex business decisions across the organization
- Leads teams in understanding the link between Allstate’s vision and strategies and department initiatives and drives achieving them. Develops department strategies and leads teams through them to help achieve corporate business results.
- Leverages understanding of insurance business, product, markets and regulatory environments to develop and lead pricing/reserving/modeling strategies to influence business decisions across the organization. Acts as a subject matter expert and serves on external panels/forums/rate hearings/provide Statement of Actuarial Opinion
This job does have supervisory duties.
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of property and casualty pricing experience
- Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in related field of study such as actuarial science, math/applied math, statistics/applied statistics
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- FCAS designation
- Commercial lines pricing experience, preferably within auto and BOP. Reserving experience a plus.
- Understanding of telematics (preferable, but not required)
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge in the use and ability to learn a wide variety of tools, data sources and computer applications
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present written and verbal interpretations of highly specialized terms and data, to multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
- Advanced experience in leading the development/application of highly complex models as well as evaluating models of many types
- Ability to use and/or instruct others in language usage to achieve results, can be considered a subject matter expert
- Extensive product, price, risk management and insurance regulation knowledge, including professional standards of actuarial/statistical techniques
- Advanced project management skills to independently handle multiple projects of high complexity, that cross multi-disciplinary groups
- Proven management experience required, including ability to train, develop and mentor people leaders
Allstate prides itself on offering our employees a robust Total Rewards package which includes base salary. The base range offered for the role is: $165-220K and may vary based on internal equity, and job-related skills, knowledge and experience; among other factors. The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
⛔️ Allstate are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
You've aced the actuarial job interview and an offer is on the table – congratulations! But now, the real challenge begins: negotiation.
Actuaries never stop learning. There are loads of industry webinars and conferences out there, but I prefer reading blogs and listening to podcasts.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.