Share this job:
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
Actuary (Parametric Insurance)
About the Team
Governments and other public sector entities are increasingly aware of the various risks they absorb as explicit or implicit risk takers. Over the last 11 years, Swiss Re has invested in educating public sector partners about this changing paradigm and identifying ways that risk transfer can help governments handle these new fiscal challenges.
The success of Public Sector Solutions presents Swiss Re with a significant opportunity for expansion and business development and solidifies the public sector as a meaningful element of Swiss Re's growth strategy across its (re)insurance and capital markets related businesses. In helping our clients, we can accelerate economic development, improve risk awareness, and deepen social resilience.
We aim to develop business opportunities with the public sector by systematically approaching national and municipal governments, NGOs and development banks in a coordinated way across the Group. We provide risk transfer solutions to reduce the contingent liabilities of governments. These solutions range from non-traditional risk transfer products such as cat bonds for pandemics to reinsurance coverages for SMEs for a changing climate.
While the team increasingly reaches out into other lines of business, large natural catastrophes and large-scale weather-related risks remain at the very core of our business success.
To reach our ambitious business targets - PSS is a business unit, focussed to reach financial targets - we are looking for a Product Manager with a core focus on Latin America who is ready for a challenge and keen to support Public Sector Solutions in a technical function which is close to the client.
About the Role
We are looking to recruit a highly motivated, entrepreneurial-minded, and tenacious person with ideally 3-5 years’ relevant professional experience in underwriting and design of structured (parametric) insurance solutions, ideally with a strong background in natural perils or actuarial sciences.
As a member of the globally operating Product Management team, the successful candidate will work very closely with the regional Public Sector Solutions (PSS) client management team and with the Products teams from both Swiss Re Corporate Solutions and Reinsurance. The candidate is expected to represent PSS' business solution capabilities, allowing us to offer client ready, value adding products that meet actual client needs. The applicant utilizes their own expertise and leverages the Group's overall technical know-how to drive innovation, accelerate transactions, and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
While technical abilities and project management skills will be core criteria for the successful candidate, the ability to effectively present complex technical aspects in an easy to grasp way, in writing as well as orally, are of equal importance. The position holder will engage frequently with public sector clients, modelling firms and data providers of all levels of seniority. You connect and adapt easily with internal and external stakeholders and can take decisions which are pragmatic but nevertheless robust and defendable.
Key accountabilities include:
- Assessing and modelling, primarily natural catastrophe and weather risks globally using existing tools but also designing robust novel solutions. Special focus is given to index based, parametric risk transfer solutions, not excluding traditional placements (structuring skill)
- Taking role in analyzing and pricing (aka underwriting) transactions, preparing the issuance of non-binding and binding client indications (underwriting skill)
- Effectively and responsibly lead lager scale transactions for PSS or development projects covering traditional structuring and underwriting as well as product/solution development (development skill)
- Represent the team's technical expertise through close collaboration with the Products and local client facing teams. Dissect and present complex concepts to clients to drive effective sales efforts, (presentation skill).
- Contribute to sales effectiveness with the preparation of technical documentation (documentation skill).
- Be a "translator" between the client need and what SR can offer or develop. This by using language and illustrations that makes such material appreciated by the non-expert (marketing skill)
- Driving effectiveness and ensuring replication of successful transactions to improve efficiency and overall economics of PSS’ transaction management (business skill)
- Ideally of 3-5 years of professional experience, ideally in field of risk assessment, risk modelling, applied sciences or actuarial sciences (e.g., EQ, TC, Flood, Climate risks, …)
- Solid experience with index-based parametric insurance products, including structuring and underwriting for all types of perils, not excluding tradition indemnity-based solutions
- Above average background in natural sciences or related discipline (master's degree or higher).
- Geospatial mapping and data analysis capabilities using standard GIS programs (ArcGIS, QGIS) and/or a programming language (Python, "R", etc…)
- Strong interest and proven track record to translate complex subjects into easy-to-understand material to be used in front of clients
- Outspoken, self-propelled individual who likes working in a global environment and enjoys working in oftentimes virtual team settings. Skilled communicator.
- Excellent team player, willing to take different roles in a fast-changing and agile environment. Happy to work with and connect to a truly globally domiciled and operating team
- Ability to see the big picture without compromising attention to detail
- You are fluent in Spanish and English, any other language a plus (e.g., Portuguese)
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime. We cover both Property & Casualty and Life & Health. Combining experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise, we create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 14,000 employees across the world.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. We embrace a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work and their passion for sustainability.
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Actuaries never stop learning. There are loads of industry webinars and conferences out there, but I prefer reading blogs and listening to podcasts.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.