Legal & General
Share this job:
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
Modelling & Research Actuary
Your role at a glance
We have a fantastic role for a Qualified Actuary to join our Retail Protection team as a Modelling and Research Actuary. In this role you will assist in the delivery of the data analytics capability and strategy for L&G Retail Commercial by working closely with IT & Change to ensure successful delivery of data sets, software, tooling, and infra-structure.
You will also propose, design and implement analytical models and pricing assumptions for RP Commercial using the latest statistical models and techniques to help improve business processes in order to achieve divisional objectives. This is a Hybrid Working opportunity based from our London Offices, which will give you the freedom to find a work/life balance that suits you.
What you'll be doing
- Providing ideas and solutions to complex business issues by delivering advanced analytic capabilities. This will be achieved by designing and implementing complex analytical models, scoping business requirements and future proofing data sources.
- Ensuring data integrity by implementing, monitoring and controlling the appropriate levels of data integrity for the purpose of analysis. As well as seeking improvements to data quality, by contributing to system developments and by working with internal & external customers.
- Developing a suite of underwriting and pricing tools in order to create an assumption basis and reporting framework, including best practice guidelines, for RP Commercial Pricing.
- Providing concise, clear and well communicated summaries of all analysis and present these findings to key stakeholders and at committees to achieve sign-off for proposals. You will also provide ongoing education to stakeholders to ensure quality decisions are made based off this analysis.
- Mentoring and managing junior employees within the Analytics and Risk Modelling team, in a manner that is consistent with the Company’s policies and procedures and in respect of an inclusive culture, including the Partnership Agreement, to maximise the performance of the area.
- Providing advice and guidance to colleagues including (where required) providing coaching and development of others such that specialist skills are developed and deployed throughout the organisation. You will also work closely with other Data Analytics / Actuarial teams and share experiences and knowledge to create a community of best practice.
What we're looking for
- A qualified actuary with relevant work experience
- Significant knowledge and experience of experience analysis and claims trend work.
- Ability to build bases from first principles
- Working knowledge of UK Life Insurance products and reinsurance market.
- Skilled in statistical and modelling programmes such as R, Emblem and other open source technologies (e.g. Python) as well as Data visualisation software such as Tableau / PowerBI.
- Commercial acumen with an ability to spot opportunities to improve business processes and deliver increased net business value add.
- Practical experience conducting experience analyses and building bases.
- Excellent report writing ability.
- Project management skills - with the ability to lead initiatives from initial analysis through to final implementation.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with senior stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution. If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, 27 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection.
You'll receive a car allowance of 12% of your annual salary, and you can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave. You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes.
And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow. Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands. We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet. We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area
Life can sometimes be unpredictable, and it pays to plan ahead. Our aim at Legal & General Retail is to help our customers plan for the unexpected, achieve financial security for their tomorrow, and protect everything that’s important to them. To better understand our customers and meet their needs, we’ve brought our protection, retirement income, savings, lending and advice, fintech and mortgage businesses under one umbrella.
Created at the start of 2022 through the merging of our long-standing and trusted retail retirement and insurance businesses, we’re a fast-growing division with big, customer-centered ambitions.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation. We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status.
In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve. We think it’s important to create an inclusive environment where we can all belong, contribute and drive progress, where you can develop and grow, and be empowered. We want you to use your voice to help us build a better tomorrow. We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.