Share this job:
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
Senior Manager (Actuarial & Analytics)
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$114,700.00 – $189,300.00
What Is the Opportunity?
The Senior Manager, International Actuarial & Analytics will work in close partnership with business segments, enterprise and International Actuarial & Analytics teams and business partners to help support/drive key International initiatives and projects. This role will have managerial responsibilities, including direct reports.
This unique position provides exposure to all lines of business including specialty business such as Lloyd’s, across multiple geographies, and across all U.S. domestic segments: Personal Insurance, Business Insurance, and Bond and Specialty Insurance.
This position requires inquisitiveness, creativity and adaptability. The successful candidate will be a resourceful, a quick study with strong leadership drive and the ability to influence. The position provides the opportunity to partner with a culturally diverse talented group and senior leaders across organization to make significant contributions to the company through a variety of projects.
As a Business Insurance (BI) liaison, this individual will lead and facilitate efforts to connect and support the International teams with the BI Actuarial & Analytics teams leveraging BI expertise and capabilities and providing analytics to the organization.
This position will collaborate with the segments, local teams and the enterprise, leading efforts to drive efficiencies and extend enterprise capabilities to International and local teams across Actuarial.
This individual will also partner with the business segments to continue to execute a robust International Actuarial & Analytics governance framework across U.S., Canada and Europe.
The Senior Manager, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leader role that will have responsibility for projects that may include ratemaking, pricing, project management, ERM related and advanced analytics and research with the potential for reserving and planning/forecasting. This role is expected execute strategic and operational initiatives, drive change and influence leaders up to the VP level with business partners, and share ownership of business financial results.
What Will You Do?
- Hold a lead role in strategic planning as well as manage the successful execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Support broad department initiatives.
- Begin to promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from work.
- Begin to make decisions independently in accordance with department practices.
- Begin to provide direction and review others’ analytical work.
- Begin to translate business requests into analytical solutions.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business initiatives on a regular basis to staff, peers, and business partners.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience with guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with guidance.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.
- Staff responsibilities may include direct management of 1 to 2 individual contributors or interns.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned unit.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- 5+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Management experience preferred.
- Take ownership of projects including initiating the project, drawing up the project plan, carrying out the action items and make recommendations.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting decisiveness and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including modeling the way for others and leading team projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting an Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few key business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing analytic solutions.
- Has a general perspective of certain areas of the industry and developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology, products and performance of competitors.
- Begins to be familiar with other key business drivers and discipline areas as well.
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships across the BI&AA community across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and build consensus with guidance.
- Aware of potential conflict and addresses with limited guidance.
- Begin to acknowledge accomplishments of others within your primary working group.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for small projects.
- Evaluate and use appropriate data, tools and methods.
- Independently perform and implement analytics.
- May engage in technical/peer review.
- Begin to design and able to contribute on more complex analytic work.
- Begin to understand diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish business goals.
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Over the past few weeks, I've spoken with lots of actuarial analysts who are pretty anxious about AI.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.