Share this job:
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
Sr Director (Commercial Auto Pricing)
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range: $132,100.00 – $217,900.00
In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we deliver tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
Are you looking for opportunities to apply your actuarial and analytical skills to influence rate level decisions for industry leading commercial auto insurance products and monitor product performance? We have an exciting role for you at Business Insurance Actuarial Product Auto team! As a Senior Director Actuarial & Analytics, you will be leading rate adequacy analysis for both commercial auto new product TCAP and existing product for all business units, providing pricing indications to business units and collaborating across functional teams to influence rate level decisions. You will also be leading the efforts monitoring the performance of existing product including making model adjustments, defect resolution and benchmark restatement process. ACAS or FCAS is preferred for this position.
The Sr. Director, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership role that is responsible for assigned unit typically involved in reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project management and research. This role is expected execute strategic and operational initiatives, drive change within assigned unit and influence leaders up to the VP level with business partners in assigned area, and share ownership of business financial results. The Sr. Director, Actuarial and Analytics will work within broad limits and authority on complex initiatives requiring specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in several of the following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods, Advanced statistical analyses, Broad business knowledge, In-depth Line of Business knowledge, Broader awareness of enterprise Actuarial & Analytics community. This role may lead a team.
What Will You Do?
- Assess, prioritize, influence and communicate strategic initiative options to senior leaders.
- Demonstrate effective execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Generate and advocate for process improvements and actively propel innovation in alignment with existing strategy.
- This position will lead assigned unit strategic initiatives and cross-unit initiatives and is expected to participate in Enterprise initiatives on a limited basis.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Begin to drive broad department initiatives.
- Promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from work.
- Make decisions independently in accordance with department practices.
- Consistently provide direction and review others’ analytical work.
- Begin to translate ambiguous business needs into analytical solutions.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates on a regular basis with staff, peers and business partners and on an occasional basis with senior leaders.
- Tailors communication of analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to audience.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- Leads group discussions with primary working group.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations.
- Able to influence and collaborate with peers and partners to take actions to enhance business outcomes.
- Staff responsibilities are likely to include direct management of a small team of individual contributors.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned unit.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Succession planning and talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Support staff engagement cross Enterprise initiatives.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- 8+ years of quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Leadership experience.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and relationship-building skills.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and translate complex information to leadership and non-technical teams.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- Begins to challenge conventional thinking.
- Takes ownership of projects related to strategic initiatives and often makes independent recommendations to influence business outcomes.
- Proficient in Leading Self including exhibiting decisiveness and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Development of Leading Others including modeling the way for others and leading cross-unit projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business including actively engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting an Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of certain key business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.