Share this job:
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
Manager (Property Reserving)
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Salary Range: $100,400.00 – $165,700.00
In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics (BIAA), we deliver tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
Business Insurance is looking for a thoughtful and motivated individual to join the Loss Analytics Property team. A fundamental responsibility of this position is direct ownership for key segments of Business Insurance and evaluating the adequacy of Loss & ALAE reserves for the assigned lines using a variety of reserving techniques. This position will also be directly involved in supporting broader strategic initiatives, setting current year loss projections, maintaining and/or developing various tools and templates, and preparing trend forecasts using an array of data, including external economic forecasts. An individual that has a desire and passion for performing analyses to understand underlying drivers of loss activity and trends, as well as providing actionable insights, will be key for success in the role. In addition, this role will collaborate and communicate with many business functions and partners, including Claim, Business Units, Product Actuarial and senior actuarial management.
The Manager, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership role that encompasses the shared responsibility of project and strategic execution with actuarial, analytic and business partners, in addition to assigned operational assignments which may include reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project management and research. The individual in this role is expected to be an influential member of project teams, providing analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and Business unit partners.
The Manager, Actuarial and Analytics will work on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in one or more of the following areas: actuarial and/or research methods, advanced statistical analyses, solid business knowledge, line of business knowledge.
What Will You Do?
- Participate in a lead role in the successful execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Support and drive components of unit initiatives. Begin to support broad department initiatives.
- Take accountability for process efficiencies within assignments.
- Begin to make proposals in accordance with department practices.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to peers and business partners.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience within the primary working group with guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions at the unit level.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with guidance and peer review.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.
- Retention and development of assigned staff.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- 4+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.