Share this job:
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
Auto Pricing Actuary
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
$100,400.00 – $165,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?
The Manager, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership role that encompasses the shared responsibility of project and strategic execution with actuarial, analytic and business partners, in addition to assigned operational assignments which may include reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project management and research. The individual in this role is expected to be an influential member of project teams, providing analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and Business unit partners. The Manager, Actuarial and Analytics will work on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in one or more of the following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods, Advanced statistical analyses, Solid business knowledge, Line of Business knowledge.
In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we deliver tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence pricing and underwriting decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
This position plays a crucial role in the support of growth and profitability initiatives by putting predictive model-based pricing tools in the hands of underwriters, for pricing guidance and evaluation of commercial auto accounts.
Core responsibility of the role is:
- To support creation of new pricing tools and address issues and answer questions related to pricing tools used by field and underwriters
- Reporting and monitoring of monthly production results against expectation, and calibration of pricing models to reflect an up-to-date loss cost view
- Understanding of drivers of pricing factor movement and business mix changes for influencing strategic goals of growth and profitability
- Application of available analytical tools to monitor data quality and effectiveness of pricing models
- Support implementation of new machine learning pricing models in pricing tools
This is an opportunity to learn about Commercial Auto Line of Business and enhance efficiency and accuracy of pricing process. There will be extensive collaboration with various business partners in multiple functional areas such as Information Management and Analytics (IM&A), Business Capabilities Office (BCO), Actuarial and Analytics, Analytics and research, and Underwriting.
Programming skills in languages such as SAS, SQL, Python are needed with an ability to perform data manipulation and complete analytic analyses. The individual in this role will have an ability to interpret data and analyze results and communicate the results with business partners.
What Will You Do?
- Participate in a lead role in the successful execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Support and drive components of unit initiatives. Begin to support broad department initiatives.
- Take accountability for process efficiencies within assignments.
- Begin to make proposals in accordance with department practices.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to peers and business partners.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience within the primary working group with guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions at the unit level.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with guidance and peer review.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.
- Retention and development of assigned staff.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- 4+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Take ownership of assigned projects and meetings, make recommendations and presents results to business partners.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including mentoring/training team members.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively supporting business goals and being a positive member of the Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few basic business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing analytic solutions.
- Has a foundational perspective of the primary industry and developing trends such as: technology
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.