Share this job:
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
Senior Consultant (Auto Pricing)
The Sr. Consultant, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic role that encompasses the personal ownership of operational assignments and support of strategic assignments which may include reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project management and research.
The individual in this role is expected to have a high level of partnership within assigned unit and across projects, and be an influential member of project teams, providing analytical insights to leadership and Business unit partners. The Sr. Consultant, Actuarial and Analytics will work on assignments requiring knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following areas: Actuarial techniques and/or research methods Statistical analyses Foundational business knowledge Line of Business knowledge.
In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we deliver tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
If you are looking for opportunities to apply your analytical and programming skills to support monitoring the performance of a new industry leading insurance product and innovation in processes, we have an exciting role for you at Business Insurance Actuarial Product Auto team! As a Senior Consultant Actuarial & Analytics, you will be supporting the new commercial auto product TCAP monitoring, process innovation to improve efficiency of new product deployment and legacy model monitoring. Programming experience with SQL, SAS or Python is required.
- Participate on strategic projects with execution responsibility for assigned project sub-components.
- Recommend and execute solutions for assigned project to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Execute work thoughtfully and efficiently as a team member to improve project team performance and timelines.
- This position may participate on cross-unit and Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently refresh actuarial and analytic analyses, perform new analysis with guidance, and begin to apply judgment.
- Support and begin to drive components of unit initiatives.
- Begin to take accountability for process efficiencies within assignments.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates progress, findings and results to manager and peers.
- Communicates technical topics to primary working group.
- Actively participates in group discussions.
- Provides formal written communication such as memos or presentations with supervision.
- May be a mentor or resource for less experienced analytic talent within assigned Segment.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 3 or more Actuarial exams preferred.
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office), basic programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- 2+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Developing understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Development of Leading Self, exhibiting self-awareness and seeking opportunities to learn while also starting to manage ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including mentoring/training team members.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including being a positive member of the Enterprise culture.
- Has an understanding and knowledge of a few basic key business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing analytic solutions.
- Has a foundational perspective of certain areas of the industry and developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology, products and performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with a couple other key business drivers and disciplines.
- Begin to develop professional business relationships across the BI&AA community within Segment.
- Generate and solicit ideas.
- Able to use appropriate tools to compile and analyze data effectively.
- Perform basic-level analytics working more independently and effectively with awareness of materiality and reasonability, foreseeing more next steps.
- May perform technical review of unit work product.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 1 year of experience in quantitative analysis required.
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
⛔️ Travelers are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.