Share this job:
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
Senior Actuarial Analyst
This role is a primary contributor to the projection, reserving, and quarterly earnings analysis of the Australia & New Zealand Life & Health (ANZ L&H) business on select lines. The business includes a mix of group and individual products covering mortality, disability, and trauma.
Identifying and investigating movements and emerging trends is a critical component of the role. You will be expected to be a key contributor to several processes/tools and expected to find ways to continually improve their quality and/or efficiency.
Your main responsibilities will include, however, are not limited to:
1. Quarterly reporting:
- Creation of policy liabilities on current reporting basis and soon on IFRS17;b) Analysis of earnings on various Australian and New Zealand life products;
- Support economic valuation (EVM), portfolio modelling;
- Communicating results with stakeholders; and
- Ensure documentation and controls are followed and remain current.
2. Experience study and assumption review:
- Support the yearly experience study process, providing initial analysis of results from the Experience Studies team and report on insights;
- Support production of annual disclosures and audit reporting;
- Develop an understanding of the business and propose ideas to improve profitability and efficiency; and
- Ad hoc support of projects.
About the Team
Swiss Re Australia's Life & Health Actuarial Management team comprises approximately two dozen staff across our Sydney and Bangalore offices, responsible for delivering all actuarial reporting requirements and for developing a deep understanding of the diverse and complex reinsurance business in Australia and New Zealand.
Our team aims to proactively provide actionable insights to senior leaders locally and globally. We collaborate with cross functional teams throughout Swiss Re to help deliver efficiently implemented projects and reinsurance offerings to our clients. We are constantly striving to use the latest analytical tools to provide more insights to both our internal stakeholders and our clients, helping achieve our goal of making the world more resilient.
- Nearly/newly qualified as a Fellow of Australian Institute of Actuaries or equivalent;
- Up to 5 years of L&H valuation or pricing experience in reinsurance or primary insurance;
- Experience in experience studies and assumption setting;
- Ability to drive the creation of efficient processes and to use these to provide insight to the business is key to success in this role;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (both written and verbal) skills;
- Experience in a financial reporting area and knowledge of Australian IFRS and ICAAP reporting and analysis is beneficial;
- Good knowledge of actuarial modelling (AXIS, R, SAS, VBA) desirable; and
- You enjoy team collaboration and contributing to the broader team on local and global business initiatives.
Leadership from Every Seat is our leadership ambition to empower all employees at Swiss Re to act as a leader and take ownership no matter where they sit in the organisation. There are three leadership imperatives that guide us on how we lead at Swiss Re, one of which is to 'Be courageous'. At Swiss Re, this is about taking personal accountability.
We are looking for team members who stand for integrity, improve continually and navigate ambiguity. This means having the courage to be curious and to stretch yourself beyond what you already know. We want team members who drive change fearlessly and don't always opt for the easy option, and can stay calm, focused and resilient during difficult times.
Regardless of what position we have at Swiss Re, all of us can be courageous, which will also help us in our personal and professional growth.
Swiss Re offers modern hybrid working arrangements that allow all employees to adapt to changing work preferences. We currently provide employees with attractive offices, competitive benefits such as 25 days annual leave, 15 days personal leave, work anniversary leave, salary continuance insurance, flu vaccinations and annual health checks.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We look forward to your application!
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime. We cover both Property & Casualty and Life & Health. Combining experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise, we create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 14,000 employees across the world.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. We embrace a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work and their passion for sustainability.
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.