Share this job:
⛔️ SCOR are no longer taking applications for this job.
Data Analytics Actuary
A qualified actuary or technical data scientist with life insurance experience and/or a data science background. With a strong background in data analytics, strong programming fundamentals and ideally life insurance industry experience, the successful candidate will have responsibility for managing SCOR Global Life Australia (SGLA)’s experience analysis study tools and providing value-adding insights in relation to past and future portfolio experience (including incidence rates, lapse rates, termination rates, reporting delays, consumer behaviours etc.).
The role will also play a key role in supporting the development of SGLA’s data science and data analytics capability and the delivery of the data analytics strategy.
This role would suit a qualified actuary with a strong interest in data analytics; or an experienced technical lead (with strong python data science skills) with a track record in the insurance industry.
SCOR’s purpose is to use the art and science of risk to help protect societies underpinned by the belief that “Life is precious, we value life”. SCOR is passionate about using data analytics to help improve insurance products, services and the customer experience.
Key duties and responsibilities
The Data Analytics team develops and manages advanced statistical, predictive, and machine learning models as well as providing technical expertise to a growing cross-functional team of data scientists, underwriters, claims assessors and actuaries. As part of the Data Analytics team and working closely with the Pricing and Valuation actuarial teams, as well as the global Experience Analysis team, your role will help to build and enhance the Experience Analysis Studies solution as well as other data science best-practice tools and approaches including GLM and other predictive modelling of risks.
Part of an agile squad with project management experience, able to review python code and provide direction for junior staff, you will have a track record of delivering results.
A key goal of the role is to identify and share key findings and insights about claims and lapse experience, to support the setting of best estimate assumptions for pricing and valuation purposes as well as to contribute to the development of SCOR’s data science and data analytics capability. A key aspect of this position is to work closely with other team members to analyse experience data to understand the drivers of SCOR’s claims and lapse experience so that the learnings can be reflected in business decisions and future assumptions. The position will also assist in building/modifying/implementing predictive models to assist in understanding our data and claims experience.
The role will involve supporting the execution of:
- Best practices in data engineering, data science and programming
- Data visualisation and reporting of insights and actionable recommendations
- Building the data analytics capability of the wider team through training and thought leadership
- AI and Innovation of data analytics products in biometrics and life / health
You will support the upskilling of teams and new team members via trainings to help ensure the continued improvement of experience studies with value-adding and user-friendly functionalities.
You will provide support to local teams in the assessment of insurance risks by analysing general statistical or insurance data and developing scientific methods to estimate these risks.
Aspart of a global community you will actively share your expertise and help spread the risk knowledge both internally and externally via the dissemination of best practices amongst SCOR clients, trainings, seminars and publications.
In line with SCOR’s strategic plan you will support the wider data strategy and initiatives, promoting innovation and supporting development with best practices and best-in-class tools including the use of modern data visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau & Power BI):
- Build data preparation coding for experience analysis and other data products
- Design and ensure data and code quality checks for production quality
- Build data visualisation dashboards to communicate stories and insights
- Provide Python programming technical and training support to wider team
- Develop predictive modelling advances to support current analytical techniques and to continuously improve models and data products
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify new opportunities for data-driven solutions
- Apply GLMs and statistical and machine learning approaches to build and compare different inference and predictive models
- Apply judgement and reason to understand data and modelling limitations and potential solutions
- Write reports and present on analysis
- Support data analytics requirements for new business pricing tenders
- Support the development of relevant thought leadership research for SCOR clients and the Australia/New Zealand market, linking with the Global Knowledge Team
- Help ensure the analytics capability is leveraged to support timely understanding of emerging experience of in-force portfolios and produce effective management information (MI) to optimise existing in-force management and to support future new business growth
- Improve methods and tools and knowledge on biometric risks and data analytics
- Support global projects on machine learning / data science
Required experience & competencies
- You apply your strong analytical skills to find efficient and practical solutions in a business context
- You are organised, efficient and autonomous, keen to take responsibility for your projects
- You are someone who enjoys innovating and learning new technologies
- 5-10 years experience in insurance industry
- Background understanding of insurance claims experience, pricing and reserving
- Sound judgement
- You are a dynamic team player with ‘can do’ attitude. You have good interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Advanced programming capabilities, with strong knowledge of common data science programming languages such as Python (preferred) or R.
- Fair understanding (academic knowledge) of predictive modelling concepts, machine-learning approaches (e.g. GLMs, Random Forests, GBM, Neural Networks, etc.). Good knowledge of text mining, artificial intelligences, and supervised/unsupervised machine learning techniques
- Applied software development best practices and code/model versioning (git usage, docstring, CI)
- Experience with data visualisation tools such as Tableau or Power BI
- Experience with database query tools such as SQL
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with fluency in English.
- Self-starter with resilience to co-ordinate and project manage to achieve the required outcome. Excellent analytical and time management skills
- Quick learner, keen to master new technologies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Open source contributions to github and Kaggle competition placements would be highly valued
- Actuarial Science or Data Science degree holder
SCOR, the 4th largest reinsurer in the world, provides insurance companies with a diversified and innovative range of solutions and services to control and manage risk. Leveraging experience and expertise to deliver “The Art & Science of Risk”, SCOR provides cutting-edge financial solutions, analytics tools and services in all areas related to risk – from Life & Health and Property & Casualty insurance to Investments. Our specialized teams operate in over 160 countries, fostering long-term relationships with clients.
In order to provide our clients with a broad range of innovative reinsurance solutions, SCOR pursues an underwriting policy that is founded on profitability and supported by effective risk management strategy and a prudent investment policy. This approach allows us to offer clients an optimum level of security, to create value for shareholders, and to contribute to the welfare and resilience of society by helping to protect insureds against the risks they face.
At SCOR, we believe that employing people from different backgrounds and ensuring inclusivity is a major driving force for the success of the Group. We are committed to fostering a work environment in which all employees are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to SCOR’s success.
⛔️ SCOR are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Being an actuary isn’t the 9-5 job that everyone thinks it is. At some point in your career, you'll probably feel like you're approaching burnout.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.