Share this job:
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
Senior Actuarial Consultant (Business Development)
Do you have a passion for understanding how reinsurance can be a key part of our clients' success story? Are you a highly motivated individual looking to utilise your strategic mindset to understand client needs and analyse market drivers? If yes, then Business Development (BD) is looking for a highly motivated talent like you to join the Bangalore based BD team.
This exciting opportunity sits within the Reinsurance Business Unit and focuses on originating profitable reinsurance business for Swiss Re.
In order to do this, you will need to maintain a relentless focus on understanding client needs today and tomorrow, develop corresponding client solutions, building analytical infrastructure to identify business opportunities and drive innovation. Your line manager and BD colleagues across the globe will support your professional and personal development as you seek to gain in depth knowledge of innovative reinsurance solutions. To transform this origination work into business growth, you will work collaboratively with various functions across Swiss Re, including sales leaders and technical structuring units
- This position requires converting broad knowledge of (re)insurance, corporate finance, regulatory frameworks, consulting, rating agencies and capital markets into business / strategic engagement opportunities for Swiss Re.
The candidate will be under the guidance of a Business Development Manager and work in a collaborative team to achieve:
- In-depth insights into clients' strategies & financial condition utilising publicly available data (e.g. financial statements, research reports, etc) as well as insights from discussions with client managers and market participants and translate them into commercially viable business opportunities
- Identify new market needs in order to generate meaningful reinsurance business opportunities
- Understand how different Swiss Re offerings may affect a client in terms of financial performance, accounting, rating agency, and equity valuation aspects
- Build financial models for individual clients, projecting financial statements to assess the impact of our solutions for the clients
- Produce high quality, replicable analytics & client presentation materials (including, but not limited to, visually attractive and compelling pitch books) of a standard comparable to leading investment banks or management consultants
- Act as dedicated BD support for a defined set of clients; be a trusted advisor / challenger, and support on specific deal teams as needed
- Provide input through a deal lifecycle to ensure solutions meet client objectives
The Business Development Team (BD)
- In BD, we identify new business opportunities and work on strategic reinsurance topics together with our clients. We develop business cases for bespoke reinsurance deals, quantify reinsurance benefits with the help of financial or stochastic models, and support strategic client planning and marketing.
- People in BD have a background in, corporate finance economics, and or actuarial science. We work closely together with sales leaders, structurers, underwriters and other functions. We are a global function and collaborate frequently across locations and regions.
- By joining us, you will gain an in-depth understanding of reinsurance, M&A Insurance and Consulting and its capacity to help our clients to manage their risk and capital position. You will develop solid foundations for a successful career in reinsurance, M&A and Consulting.
Abundance of Corporate and Self development benefits incl. but not limited too – onlocation rotation opportunities to other BD and Swiss Re functions, trainings, onshore relocation opportunities for consistent high performers, vertical and horizontal career development potential.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate transferrable skills from relevant work / study experience.
- 2+ years' experience (for associate), 5+ years (for AVP) in Consulting firms / Top Investment banks tracking Insurance / Re(insurance) - L&H and P&C (re)insurance segments (preferably both).
- Actuarial Experience (Minimum 6 papers cleared ) / Experience in Corporate Finance and / or Equity Research.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Good understanding of primary insurance markets, trends, and products.
- Good combined knowledge of actuarial capital models, corporate finance, accounting, solvency and ratings capital models as well as company valuation driver.
- Analytical (proficient); ability to articulate clearly, ability to prioritize and multitask, adaptable, open-minded, pragmatic, ability to manage expectation of different stakeholders.
- Proficient in Business Intelligence tools/Advanced Excel to prepare insightful dashboards to enable business origination.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Fluent command of English, additional language skills advantageous.
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint.
- Has a commercial mindset.
- An engaging personality that lives Swiss Re's values.
- Demonstrates strategic vision and agility - ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into a plan with a relentless focus on execution.
- Out of the box thinker; comfortable working on solutions across a broad range of challenges.
- Strong communicator able to present complex information both to technical and non-technical audiences in a confident, simple and concise way.
- Taking initiatives and getting things done - someone who likes to talk enough about what needs to happen but is itching to get the job done.
- Open-minded, outgoing, imaginative, creative, inquisitive, energetic and committed team player.
- Takes pride in and enjoys working with clients as much as with own ideas.
- Actuary/CFA/MBA from Tier I B-schools with corporate finance experience.
- Bachelor / Post Graduate degree in a quantitative principle in Mathematics / Statistics / Finance / Economics)
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime. We cover both Property & Casualty and Life & Health. Combining experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise, we create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 14,000 employees across the world.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. We embrace a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work.
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.
Actuary Exam Bot was an AI tool that I launched in January 2023 to help trainee actuaries study and revise for exams.