Legal & General
Share this job:
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
Your role at a glance
We are looking for a Qualified Actuary to join our Base Reporting Team as a Reporting Actuary.
In this role you will lead the production of specified statutory, external and/or internal financial results within L&G Retirement (LGR).
This will include providing high-quality results, supporting analysis and commentary on a timely basis. You will also make certain that appropriate controls are in place to ensure sound actuarial management and control of risks.
You will also lead/manage junior members of the LGR Reporting Team as part of this varied role.
What you'll be doing
- Owning the output of specified financial metrics such as; IFRS operating profit, Solvency II operating variances, risk margin, liability sensitivities and new business reporting. Ensuring both accuracy and delivery in a timely manner.
- Proactively supporting other Reporting Actuaries to ensure we meet the needs of our customers (both internal & external)
- Ensuring that reporting decisions are documented and receive the appropriate level of governance.
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with stakeholders across the business including other teams in LGR Finance, LGR Investments, Group Finance and auditors. And ensuring that communication with these stakeholders is clear, concise and tailored to the needs of the specific stakeholder.
- Leading the development, implementation and maintenance of the team’s reporting systems, and processes. Ensuring systems and processes are robust, with any associated risks assessed and appropriately controlled.
- Owning the effective planning of activities required for assigned deliverables; including allocating correct resources to meet the needs of stakeholders.
- Taking direct responsibility for managing more junior team members whilst also being a role model to all employees across the wider reporting team. This will include actively coaching and motivating team members to maximise the performance of the area.
- Supporting the Head of Reporting in the prioritisation and implementation of system, process and methodology changes as required for the ongoing production of financial results and analysis. Including working closely with other teams within LGR Finance and Group Finance to support the wider change agenda.
- Demonstrating a risk and control mind set through proactive identification of control weaknesses, and ensuring that all such weaknesses, as well as other control observations and issues are remediated quickly, sustainably, and effectively.
What we're looking for
- A qualified actuary (preferably with previous experience in life insurance).
- Experience in/an understanding of:- Reporting metrics such as IFRS, EC and Solvency II, Bulk and individual annuity products, the UK finance sector, Risk and regulatory requirements, Insurance accounting.
- IFRS and Solvency II reporting experience.
- Analytical skills with the ability to review results for reasonableness.
- Team management, stakeholder management and mentoring experience.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in reviewing processes and implementing improvements.
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, 27 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You'll receive a car allowance of 12% of your annual salary, and you can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow. Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet. We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area
Securing pensions over the long term can be a challenge for many businesses. Our ambition at Legal & General Retirement Institutional (LGRI) is to help companies and pension scheme trustees honour their defined benefit pension promises to their employees. We’re helping companies settle their pension liabilities so they can focus on growing their businesses, as well as helping to support their members’ financial security in retirement. And we’re investing for the long term to back our pension promises. In the last 30 years we’ve written more UK business than any other insurer, and we currently look after more than half a million pension policyholders. We're the UK’s longest-serving active bulk annuity provider, and a market-leading, multi-award winning business.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation.
We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status. In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve.
We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why. we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Starting a new job can be pretty scary, especially if it's your first actuarial role. But don't worry, we're here to help.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.
Actuary Exam Bot was an AI tool that I launched in January 2023 to help trainee actuaries study and revise for exams.