Legal & General
Share this job:
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
Group Capital Actuary
Your role at a glance
We are currently seeking a Qualified Actuary to join us as a Group Capital Actuary here at L&G.
In this role you will be a key part of the Group Actuarial Reporting team, and support the production and review of IFRS and Solvency II Reporting for the business units within Group Actuarial.
The principal business unit you will support in this role will be L&G Capital (LGC) but your remit will also include other business units such as the Group Pension scheme and Other Assets and Liabilities reporting.
You will also develop a detailed understanding of the assets in LGC, and how these assets are valued in the Group Solvency II balance sheet.
Familiarity with IAS19 reporting and/or UK defined pensions schemes would be advantageous but is not essential.
This is a hybrid working opportunity that can be based either from our London Offices in Moorgate or our Hove Offices.
What you'll be doing
- Ensuring the timely delivery of quarterly Solvency II Own Funds and SCR analysis (including commentary and explanation to 2nd line) and meeting required internal & external deadlines for various sub-business units.
- Planning and managing the delivery of required inputs, understanding the treatment of new assets and providing explanations of movements over the period.
- Ensuring results are subject to robust controls in line with Group and standard actuarial requirements including the Financial Control Framework (FCF), Model Risk and Control Framework (MRCF), EUC best practice standards and Technical Actuarial Standards (TAS).
- Producing monthly forecasting of Own Funds and Solvency II movements for LGC and other Group Actuarial business units.
- Producing other monthly/annual MI (e.g. Risk MI) and supporting ad-hoc business analysis as required.
- Building and maintaining relationships with relevant contacts in LGC Finance, LGR Finance, LGC Capital Management, Group Finance, Group Performance, Prudential Risk/ 2nd line and with other actuaries within Group Actuarial. Including developing an understanding of the different roles and responsibilities in each area.
- Identifying and implementing potential improvements to processes where necessary. Ensuring processes and procedures are robust, efficient and have adequate controls in place.
- Liaising closely with LGC Capital Management to identify new assets and changes to valuation treatment.
- Complying with the relevant Internal Model governance standards, in particular Internal Model validation, data management and documentation. Including managing any Internal Model changes in line with Group standards.
What we're looking for
- A qualified actuary with demonstrable PQE.
- Understanding of Solvency II Principles, including Internal Model governance.
- Knowledge of actuarial reporting and analysis across various metrics.
- Familiarity with IAS19 reporting and/or UK defined pensions schemes (highly desirable)
- The ability to apply financial analysis techniques and draw conclusions from that analysis.
- The ability to apply fresh and creative thinking and to develop new strategies.
- The ability to identify and implement improvements to processes to increase efficiency.
- The ability to manage several concurrent tasks and prioritise appropriately.
- The ability to communicate complex ideas to a variety of audiences, both in writing and verbally.
- Previous experience of modelling, and proficient in the use of Excel and Word.
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, 30 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You'll receive a car allowance of 12% of your annual salary, and you can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow.
Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet.
We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area
Helping over ten million people around the world manage their savings, retirement plans and life insurance requires a lot of people behind-the-scenes. It’s up to us in L&G Group functions – which includes our tech and digital teams, Group Finance, HR, Risk and Corporate Comms to provide the essential support services that all areas of the business need, here in the UK and overseas. Simply put, we enable everyone at Legal & General to do what they do best. That means we’re helping to improve our customers’ lives, and contributing to the success of the business every day.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation.
We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status. In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve.
We think it’s important to create an inclusive environment where we can all belong, contribute and drive progress, where you can develop and grow, and be empowered. We want you to use your voice to help us build a better tomorrow.
We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why. we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.
Actuary Exam Bot was an AI tool that I launched in January 2023 to help trainee actuaries study and revise for exams.
The actuarial profession is growing quickly and competition for jobs is high.