Legal & General
Share this job:
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
Senior Actuarial Analyst
Your role at a glance
We have a great opportunity for a part qualified actuary to join our Retail Protection team here at L&G.
In this role you will support the Risk Pricing team to help maintain L&G as one of the UK’s leading market providers of Individual Protection products. You will do this by helping to develop and deliver experience investigations, assumption settings and methodologies to enable Retail Protection to meet its business goals.
This is a hybrid working opportunity that will allow you to work effectively from home or the office and can be based from either our Hove or London Offices.
What you'll be doing
- Developing and maintaining the data integrity of an experience analysis system for Retail Protection business to ensure that key data is easily accessible for use within the wider Commercial team.
- Interpreting the results of the experience investigations to develop and refine the pricing and best estimate basis, using data analysis and modelling techniques.
- Maintaining and managing the existing suite of products and assisting in the delivery of new projects and initiatives developed within the business unit.
- Assisting in the development and integration of the risk framework to ensure that it meets the necessary requirements.
- Developing new and existing products by providing data analysis expertise and any additional support as required.
- Using Actuarial, Machine Learning and/or Statistical techniques to create new scalable solutions to business problems.
What we're looking for
- A part qualified actuary who is making good progress through the IFoA Exams.
- Degree with significant statistical or data science components would be highly advantageous.
- Previous experience of assumption setting within a Life Insurance environment would highly advantageous.
- Knowledge of a relevant actuarial/statistical modelling platforms (e.g. Emblem) and data manipulation tools (e.g. SAS or R) would be highly advantageous.
- An understanding of Individual Protection products and key issues associated.
- Conceptual thinking ability with the ability to solve hard, abstract problems with smart, creative and elegant solutions, with a preference for simplicity.
- Knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office applications, including the ability to manipulate complex spreadsheets and VBA code.
- Effective planning & organisation skills with the ability to manage own time and appropriately prioritise multiple demands, disciplines and functions.
- Ability to build effective relationships with stakeholders and colleagues to support the delivery of key projects on time.
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, at least 25 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
Legal & General runs a highly regarded Actuarial Rotations Programme for students, which you will be a part of. The role you are applying to is part of our rotational program, designed to further develop and enhance your skills, and as part of this program you will be expected to rotate in both of our sites in London and Hove.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow.
Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet.
We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area
Life can sometimes be unpredictable, and it pays to plan ahead. Our aim at Legal & General Retail is to help our customers plan for the unexpected, achieve financial security for their tomorrow, and protect everything that’s important to them. To better understand our customers and meet their needs, we’ve brought our protection, retirement income, savings, lending and advice, fintech and mortgage businesses under one umbrella. Created at the start of 2022 through the merging of our long-standing and trusted retail retirement and insurance businesses, we’re a fast-growing division with big, customer-centered ambitions.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation.
We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status. In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve.
We think it’s important to create an inclusive environment where we can all belong, contribute and drive progress, where you can develop and grow, and be empowered. We want you to use your voice to help us build a better tomorrow.
We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why. we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Managing a team of actuaries can be difficult. You need the right balance of technical and soft skills to lead a team that’s productive, engaged and motivated.
Actuary Exam Bot was an AI tool that I launched in January 2023 to help trainee actuaries study and revise for exams.
The actuarial profession is growing quickly and competition for jobs is high.