Legal & General
Share this job:
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
Actuarial Systems Architect
As a Systems Architect you will work alongside the Head of Actuarial & Finance Solutions (AFS) and various Project Managers to initiate and plan the team’s work. You will also regularly monitor and report upon progress of these projects to the project stakeholders.
This role would be perfect for you if you have previous experience of working within an Actuarial Systems delivery environment - ideally, with experience in Prophet, databases and reporting platforms - although it is more important that you possess the ability to solve a wide range of modelling and infrastructure problems including, but not limited to: deterministic, stochastic and ALM, data inputs and outputs, Data Conversion System (DCS), understanding the interaction with other systems, transformations applied in Actuarial Results Repository (ARR).
As well as the overall delivery you will also be tasked with providing technical & design guidance on the systems being built.
This is a Full Time hybrid working opportunity based from our Hove Office, but we would also welcome applications from people who require more flexible working arrangements.
What you'll be doing
- System Architecture and Technical Oversight - You will be responsible for the design of the actuarial modelling and data systems architecture. Including defining and continuously improving the actuarial modelling and data architecture standards and principles. You will also recommend improvements to current actuarial models, methodology and supporting infrastructure.
- Project Initiation - You will be responsible for the provision of work estimates for strategic projects, small change projects and man day estimation methodology. This will include assisting our customers with gathering, documenting and understanding their business requirements. You will also carry out reviews of business requirements before they are passed to the project team to ensure clarity and that they are consistent with architectural standards and principles.
- Defect Triage - You will understand the ARR solution and the processes involved. Including being able to explain how data flows through from Prophet to Tableau reporting (the ARR solution), understanding the Key controls and high-level structure and functionality of Snowflake Database to be able to triage any defect associated with ARR and Tableau reporting.
- Key Controls Assurance - You will take ownership of data lineage between different platforms and the assurance of key controls for data validations.
- Solution Design - You will be responsible for the design of high-level solutions (including ensuring consistency of approach across a wide range of projects).
- Delivery Management - You will work collaboratively with members of the project team in the definition, design and delivery of effective and efficient business solutions addressing agreed customer problems and requirements. This will include working with project managers to consider different delivery approaches and phasing options.
- Effective Relationships - You will build a strong relationship with other teams in Actuarial and Finance Solutions and our customers to leverage opportunities and synergies arising from business developments and changes in financial reporting standards. You will also manage effective networks and demonstrate excellent communication across L&G to ensure the Group Finance reporting systems and processes remain fit for purpose and continue to meet the needs of the business divisions.
- Team Management - You will manage and motivate a data architect to consistently achieve the objectives of this function and its contribution to the wider business. You will use resources effectively to enable knowledge transfer and minimisation of key person dependencies.
What we're looking for
- Fully Qualified Actuary (through the IFoA or equivalent) with significant post qualification experience.
- Demonstrable experience in: Change management/delivery, UK Finance Sector, Finance systems and processes, Reporting metrics (such as SII, IFRS17), Risk and Savings Products.
- Demonstrable experience of designing solutions to actuarial modelling problems
- Familiarity with all stages of the software development life-cycle
- An outcome orientated focus with strategic thinking capabilities
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Extensive UK Financial Reporting experience
- Working knowledge of the systems and processes of Financial Reporting
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
When you commit to Legal & General, we’ll commit to you too. That means we’ll recognise and reward your hard work, your performance and your contribution.
If you join us, you’ll get access to some great benefits, including private medical insurance, 30 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, life assurance, and Income Protection. You'll receive a car allowance of 12% of your annual salary, and you can participate in our electric car scheme, which offers employees the option to hire a brand new electric car through tax efficient salary sacrifice. We’re also proud to offer competitive family leave.
You’ll have the opportunity to participate in our annual, performance-related bonus plan and valuable share schemes. And then there are the many discounts we offer that you can take advantage of – both for our own products and at a range of high street stores and online offerings.
The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow.
Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet.
We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.
At L&G, you’ll find a balance that helps you be your best. Empowered by hybrid working, we’re supported by technology and workplaces that enable us to work effectively wherever we are. We come together in offices to collaborate and connect, and use time at home for individual, focused activities. And, when we achieve great things, we celebrate our success and reward strong performance.
Today, there’s over 10,000 of us, working towards our mission, with plenty of opportunities to grow your career as we grow L&G. Will you join us?
About the business area
Helping over ten million people around the world manage their savings, retirement plans and life insurance requires a lot of people behind-the-scenes. It’s up to us inL&G Group functions– which includes our tech and digital teams, Group Finance, HR, Risk and Corporate Comms to provide the essential support services that all areas of the business need, here in the UK and overseas. Simply put, we enable everyone at Legal & General to do what they do best. That means we’re helping to improve our customers’ lives, and contributing to the success of the business every day.
Our commitment to Equal Opportunities
Great minds don’t have to think alike, so we welcome voices from all backgrounds. Bringing together people with different life experiences helps us build empathy with our customers and drive innovation.
We don’t just talk about it, we actively promote diversity and equitable opportunities for all. That means our employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status. In fact, we embrace every dimension of diversity to reflect the customers and communities we serve.
We think it’s important to create an inclusive environment where we can all belong, contribute and drive progress, where you can develop and grow, and be empowered. We want you to use your voice to help us build a better tomorrow.
We all work differently, and have different needs, which is why. we’re always open to discussing flexible working arrangements. Likewise, we’re committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with specific needs during our recruiting process.
So whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever your story, we'd love to hear from you.
⛔️ Legal & General are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Actuary Exam Bot was an AI tool that I launched in January 2023 to help trainee actuaries study and revise for exams.
The actuarial profession is growing quickly and competition for jobs is high.
Recruiters can be a valuable tool for finding actuarial jobs. Let's discuss what recruiters can do for you, things to look out for and how to make the most of recruiters to find your next actuarial job.