Share this job:
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer. We anticipate and manage risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions is the commercial insurance arm of the Swiss Re Group. We offer innovative insurance solutions to large and midsized multinational corporations from our approximately 50 locations worldwide. We help clients mitigate their risk exposure, whilst our industry-leading claims service provides them with additional peace of mind.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. Swiss Re Corporate Solutions embraces a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work.
About the Role
Objectives (areas of responsibility and authority)
- Excellent opportunity for a P&C reserving actuary to further develop his/her career within an international business environment. This position reports to the Head of US Actuarial Management, which is part of Swiss Re Group Risk Management.
- The focus of the role will be on reserving, economic valuation and financial reporting. Furthermore, the position supports the business unit's growth strategy by collaborating in various projects, such as supporting actuarial process development including the implementation of a new reserving platform and IFRS accounting standards.
Main tasks / Regular activities
- Quarterly estimation of P&C insurance portfolio reserves (local statutory, US GAAP) including cooperation with internal stakeholders (Claims, Underwriting, Pricing, Finance/Accounting)
- Estimation of the corresponding pay-out patterns serving as one of the input parameters for economic valuation model
- Supports Finance in the preparation of internal and external (statutory) financial reports and presentations
- Supports Risk Management in the preparation of the Capital and Solvency calculations
- Prepares appropriate recommendations to reserve committees and legal entity management
- Detailed ad hoc portfolio reviews and analyses as required including management support
- Ensures effective feedback loops to Business, Underwriting, Claims, and Finance units
- Improves and assures process efficiency and quality by automating process steps
- Ensures compliance to local insurance laws and regulations for actuarial reserving matters
- Contributes to actuarial and assumes (international/Group) assignments and projects
- Inter-regional coordination with Swiss Re actuarial teams for improving the quality of actuarial analysis through simplification and automation of global processes
About the Team
The position is embedded within a small group of senior actuaries and analysts who are responsible for setting property and casualty reserves for the CorSo US carriers.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a Property & Casualty insurance environment preferred
- Kansas City, MO preferred location, Remote location will be considered for right candidate
- University degree in actuarial science or related field (mathematics or finance)
- Qualified actuary of the Casualty Actuarial Society or an internationally recognized association, or actively moving toward an actuarial designation
- Good understanding of actuarial methods, accounting principles, and information systems
- Familiarity R, SAS, SQL and/or other programming languages which support statistical computing, data visualization and analysis
- Actuarial valuation and reporting experience required, experience in other actuarial fields (pricing, underwriting, solvency) an asset
- Knowledge of statutory and regulatory environments in the US
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills – demonstrates a clear and articulate standard of written and verbal communication in a complex environment
- Proactive in seeking out and providing information
- Actively looks to contribute and take on additional responsibility
- Integrative personality with the ability to successfully work together with different personal styles and cultures
- Proficient in English, any other language (mainly Spanish) is a plus
Swiss Re is an equal opportunity employer. It is our practice to recruit, hire and promote without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientations, marital status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Decisions on employment are solely based on an individual's qualifications for the position being filled.
During the recruitment process, reasonable accommodations for disabilities are available upon request. If contacted for an interview, please inform the Recruiter/HR Professional of the accommodation needed.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact the world, it is our responsibility to help keep our employees, customers, partners and communities healthy and safe. SwissRe will require all candidates interviewing in person in Canada to provide evidence of vaccination when arriving at our offices.
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
From the blog
Expert tips on actuarial career growth and development.
Recruiters can be a valuable tool for finding actuarial jobs. Let's discuss what recruiters can do for you, things to look out for and how to make the most of recruiters to find your next actuarial job.
Most actuaries overlook soft skills - even though they’re arguably more important for your life and career.
You’ve spent hours researching ‘how to become an actuary’ and now it’s time to put your plan into action.