Share this job:
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
Senior Actuary & Development Manager
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime. We cover both Property & Casualty and Life & Health. Combining experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise, we create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 14,000 employees across the world.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. We embrace a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work.
About the role:
The U.S. Group & Medical Reinsurance team is responsible for the origination and development of Group Life, Accident and Long-Term Disability and Medical reinsurance. In this position you will have new business origination responsibility for the full spectrum of Swiss Re's Group Life, Accident and Long-Term Disability products and services and ensure the maximization of economic and GAAP profit results for assigned clients. In addition, you will be the lead 'messenger' in terms of showcasing how Swiss Re can help prospects / your assigned clients to sell more business, create operating efficiencies, and improve the performance of their portfolio(s).
- New business origination, development and strategic dialogue with carrier key decision makers and reinsurance brokers in the Group Life, Accident and Long-Term Disability market
- Development and implementation of business and strategic new business engagement plan approach in order to achieve sustainable competitive advantages for Swiss Re
- Monitor the market(s)/line(s) of business with regards to news/information on clients and competitors, reinsurance, Insurtech updates
- Building relationships, creating strong networks, and having an impactful presence
- Direct involvement with cross functional teams
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with other departments within Swiss Re to facilitate the resolution of potential business issues
- Understand the problems and challenges of prospects and/or clients and identify ways Swiss Re could address those needs; this includes:
- Anticipating needs of prospects and/or clients and selling/pitching Swiss Re services (inclusive of creating persuasive pitch decks and external presentations)
- Understanding market opportunities in order to source new opportunities
- Working with colleagues within Swiss Re's U.S. Group & Medical Reinsurance, U.S. Individual Life Insurance or Solutions' teams and cross functional teams in the development of new solutions
- Represent Swiss Re's U.S. Group Reinsurance team at industry meetings and prospect and/or client meetings
Marketing and Branding
- Improve industry presence of Swiss Re as an innovative partner through prospect and/or client interactions and other external means such as social media, insurance/reinsurance board member representation, speaking at industry events and writing articles for industry publications
- Craft the right stories and messages to enhance our brand in the Solutions space
- Design/enhance marketing materials to improve our external brand and effectiveness
- Support the team in messaging to tell compelling and engaging stories
- Deliver Swiss Re's sustainability goal of closing the Protection Gap by finding ways to enable our clients to address associated pain points.
Leadership and Teamwork
- Supports achievement of the Swiss Re vision, values, and goals in personal behavior, actions and decision making
- Acts as change agent and drives commercial culture, agility and innovative thinking for business development purposes
- Motivates Group reinsurance team by fostering open communication / exchange of creative ideas
- Supports multi-disciplined team(s) across matrix to achieve objectives
- Provides leadership and support by searching out external best practices and continued professional development
- Encourages/enables constructive cross-business teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and challenging actions and behaviors that aren't consistent with Swiss Re standards or the best interest of its customers
University degree or equivalent required. Strong business component preferred.
Minimum 10+ years of practice in Group Life, Accident and LTD insurance or reinsurance.
Knowledge of the group life and long-term disability insurance industry with a pulse on future trends
FSA designation is preferred
Experience within various disciplines (eg. actuarial, underwriting, sales, finance)
Experience in originating new business and maintaining client relationships – both direct and brokered
Consultative selling and effective branding capabilities
Track record as successful sales leader and dealmaker is preferred
Knowledge of emerging technologies and the InsurTech space is an advantage
Medical insurance or reinsurance experience a plus, but not required
Entrepreneurial and strategic thinker focused on delivering results
Motivational skills and ability to promote teamwork and cooperation across business units and functions
Excellent sales, negotiation, influencing and presentation skills; executive presence
Strong interpersonal skills
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required
Demonstrated initiative, pragmatism, and business judgement
Multilateral thinking and acting
At ease with leaving comfort zone and stretching oneself and performing under pressure.
Ability to successfully manage conflicts
Open minded, trustworthy and enthusiastic
Significant travel is required for prospect visits and industry conferences/events – minimum 50%
Swiss Re is an equal opportunity employer. It is our practice to recruit, hire and promote without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientations, marital status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Decisions on employment are solely based on an individual's qualifications for the position being filled.
During the recruitment process, reasonable accommodations for disabilities are available upon request. If contacted for an interview, please inform the Recruiter/HR Professional of the accommodation needed.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact the world, it is our responsibility to help keep our employees, customers, partners and communities healthy and safe. SwissRe will require all candidates interviewing in person in the United States and Canada to provide evidence of vaccination when arriving at our offices.
Reference Code: 116254
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.