Share this job:
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime. Combining experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise, we create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 14,000 employees across the world.
Our success depends on our ability to build an inclusive culture encouraging fresh perspectives and innovative thinking. We embrace a workplace where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive and develop professionally regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, skillset, thought or other characteristics. In our inclusive and flexible environment everyone can bring their authentic selves to work.
About the team
The Swiss Carrier Reserving and Projects team is part of L&H Actuarial Management EMEA, and is made up of around 20 people, split between London, Zurich and Bangalore. Within the team, we are a dedicated group of Actuaries who are passionate about improving the quality of the balance sheet for our colleagues across the EMEA business.
In the Valuation Improvements team we work on a variety of activities with the focus on improving the quality of the balance sheet for L&H business in the Europe Region.
About the role
We are looking for a hardworking and motivated individual to join the Actuarial Management team, acting as an Actuarial Intern. In this role you will help improve the quality of the Balance Sheet in L&H Reinsurance at Swiss Re. This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a successful team across a varied reinsurance business. The scope of the role includes involvement in modelling, reserving and business analysis for one or more key markets and products. Initially it will involve supporting other team members. Over time it is expected to include a reasonable degree of responsibility and opportunity for personal growth – particularly in terms of technical actuarial content. This is a one year intern role working a regular 35 hour working week.
Key responsibilities include:
- Implement improved valuation for material treaties within the European in-force portfolio, using policy and profiles.
- Developing a sound understanding of the underlying risks on the Balance Sheet and using this knowledge to facilitate proactive management of the in-force portfolio.
- Production and analysis of the impact of the new data to the valuation results, across any bases (US GAAP, EVM, Lux GAAP, Swiss Statutory, Local GAAP, Others), for our in-force L&H business in selected markets.
- Working closely with actuarial colleagues to find opportunities for improvements and alignment of processes across the business.
- Encouraging and facilitating the use of the latest technologies and methodologies in valuation and reporting and developing pragmatic solutions to business problems.
- Making actuarial and business recommendations based on professional judgment and experience.
- Developing an understanding of the underlying risks on the L&H EMEA Balance Sheet, and using this knowledge to manage the in-force portfolio.
- Working with other business functions - including Finance, Products, other project teams, IT and others.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Graduate degree in quantitative discipline and desire to pursue actuarial qualification or Partly qualified actuary with no relevant experience.
- Familiarity with the range of Life & Health insurance products and reinsurance structures written in the UK or other European markets. Specific market experience / knowledge advantageous.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong Excel skills, expertise in actuarial or statistical software (e.g. RAFM, R) appreciated.
- Good project management skills and can-do attitude, able to consider your own and other's needs in a fast-paced environment.
- High degree of flexibility, as the job is very project-focused, in which there can be uncertainty around priorities and approaches to tasks.
- An independent thinker who can take ambiguous problems and propose effective solutions, able to form and defend your view on technical and non-technical topics, but also consider a range of perspectives.
- Teamwork; willing to support the team to meet changing priorities and requirements. Able to build effective working relationships with colleagues in other teams and across technical fields.
- Strong communication and influencing skills, capable of discussing complex technical matters with internal interested parties.
- Curiosity and problem-solving approach, with a track record of improving processes
- Fluent in English, both oral and written. Proficiency in at least one other major European language would be advantageous.
The role is based in London. At Swiss Re we encourage our employees to 'own the way you work' and are happy to consider flexible working arrangements, such as regular working from home.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. Our aim is to live visible and invisible diversity – diversity of age, race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, physical abilities, personalities and experiences – at all levels and in all functions and regions. We also collaborate in a flexible working environment, providing you with a compelling degree of autonomy to decide how, when and where to carry out your tasks.
We provide feedback to all candidates via email. If you have not heard back from us, please check your spam folder.
Reference Code: 114187
⛔️ Swiss Re are no longer taking applications for this job.